Pages

Monday 19 December 2016

WORK: LESSONS FROM LANCE'S SONG

There's a song I love by Zac Brown Band, "Lance's Song". It's a true story about a drummer, Lance, who decided to follow his passion and died in the process.
I enjoy listening to that song a lot because I relate to it in a way. I just finished my undergraduate studies, and currently doing my national service. Service is about to end, and the expectations of family and society at large will soon make all young people like myself feel under pressure; get a job, buy a car, get married, etc.
There are those who will be lucky to get employed soon after service, and those that will have to wait for months, or even years. Unemployment is quite evident in our society, but a more serious problem exists in THE MINDS of most graduates. This same problem is the reason why most employed persons are also unhappy at their various workplaces.
Wearing a long sleeved shirt, a tie, suit, and sitting in an air conditioned office is not the only definition of a job. Farming, carpentry, painting, foodstuff trading, etc. are all jobs that bring income and success. A professional attitude is what makes any job honourable, not what you wear to work, or where you work.
It won't be easy for any youngster, going against the expectation of society to pursue your dreams; but do it! From the song I mentioned earlier, Lance wasn't wealthy and didn't achieve the usual SUCCESS, but most importantly, he was HAPPY.
I urge you to be courageous and take the step towards your happiness. Fortune they say, favours the bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment